Our services are covered through many Extended Healthcare Plans. Please consult your insurance provider for coverage details.
Adjunctive Cancer Care
At Thornhill Naturopathic Health Clinic, we believe in the importance of integrating non-conventional treatments with scientific evidence. We use these treatments alongside conventional treatments to improve patient outcomes. While more evidence-based research is needed to support the effectiveness of non-conventional cancer treatments, many clinical trials have shown positive improvement in treatment outcomes.
Benefits of adjunctive cancer care include:
- Reduced adverse reactions from conventional treatments
- Improved quality of life (improved energy, reduced gastrointestinal side effects, reduced peripheral neuropathy
- Improved survival and reduced rates of recurrence
Treatment options include:
- Intravenous Vitamin C
- Mistletoe therapy
- Nutritional and lifestyle counselling
- Botanical/herbal and nutritional therapies
Cupping Massage Therapy
Cupping Massage is a gentle massage technique that uses suction and vacuum pressure on areas of the body. This method is therapeutic for many conditions. This technique increases nourishment and blood supply to the muscles and skin, and allows toxins to be carried away via the lymphatic system.
Modern cupping is effective in relieving chronic pain at old injury sites and can address conditions such as:
- Pre- and post-op edema and inflammation
- Chronic edema
- Post-operative scar tissue and adhesions
This versatile technique mimics massage movements ranging from deep tissue and myofascial release to the light pumping movements of lymphatic drainage. This form of massage treatment complements many health modalities ranging from therapeutic massage to chiropractic, physical and occupational therapies as well as cosmetic and facial acupuncture.
Infra-red Sauna Therapy
Infra-red sauna therapy uses infra-red heaters to emit radiant heat, which is absorbed directly into the body. Infra-red saunas are unlike traditional saunas which heat the body indirectly via air or steam. Regular use of sauna therapy has been shown to improve in cardiovascular, respiratory, immunological, and neurological health.
Benefits of Infra-red Sauna Therapy:
- Supports the detoxifying process and the increased excretion of toxic chemicals and toxic metals
- Increased production of growth hormone, endorphins and prolactin
- May reduce elevated cholesterol (LDL)
- May speed recovery of colds, flu and sinus infections
- Decreases pain and stiffness
- Promotes longevity and youthful, radiant skin
- Increases metabolism and oxygen consumption like moderate exercise and therefore, may aid in weight loss
- Relieves stress and improves mental clarity
- Decreases symptoms of stress and fatigue
Intravenous and Injection Therapy
Intravenous (IV) Therapies involve the use of vitamins, minerals, and nutritional substances given to a person directly into their blood circulation. This is a relatively safe way to achieve the concentration levels necessary for many of these nutrients. Many conditions, especially acute infections and toxin exposures can be addressed and resolved with the administration of vitamin C doses.
IV Therapies can be used safely for a variety of conditions including:
- Heavy Metal Toxicity
- Adjunctive cancer care
- General Anti-Aging
- Pain Disorders (Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, etc.)
- Chronic Fatigue
- Heart Disease
- Colds, flu and infections
- Parkinson’s disease
- Eye concerns
Some of the therapeutics used in infusion therapy include:
- Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) for Immune support, cancer support and toxic exposure to chemicals and metals
- Meyers Cocktail (multi-mineral and vitamin cocktail for immune support, fatigue, athletic training and recovery
- Glutathione for liver support, detoxification and increased antioxidant support
- Multi-mineral and vitamin IVs for adrenal and stress support, vision and macular support, anti-aging, skin health and post-surgical recovery.
- Injection therapy includes B12 and adrenal support injections for fatigue, nutrient deficiencies and imbalances
Individuals can experience symptoms of hormonal imbalances at any age. Men, women and children can experience these issues at various stages in their lives. The changes can be due to exposure to environmental toxins found in air, water, food, personal care or household cleaning products or from stress and unhealthy lifestyles. Excess or deficiencies of different hormones can cause multitude of health problems including weight gain, skin issues, low energy, bloating, water retention, headaches, menstrual irregularities, menopausal hot flashes, infertility, low libido, allergies and food sensitivities, muscle aches and difficulty concentrating.
We use comprehensive lab testing to identify the root cause and create a personalized treatment plan for you. Treatments may include food or environmental testing for exposure to toxins and hormone disrupting chemicals, detoxification treatments, specific herbal or homeopathic supplements, acupuncture as well as prescribed bio-identical hormones or natural compounded thyroid.
Hydrotherapy is a form of natural therapy, which works by stimulating the endorphins, which in turn, helps you to control pain and alleviate tension. The hydrotherapy bath works by releasing millions of large air bubbles, which relaxes your muscular tension and helps to reduce swollen joints giving you increased mobility and more importantly lessens your pain. The hydrotherapy bath also releases very fine bubbles which has a soothing tranquil effect on your body that helps relieve your stress and tension.
The benefits of hydrotherapy include:
- Improved circulation: By increasing blood flow and lymphatic drainage, increased circulation also helps to clear the body of toxins.
- Stronger Immune System: Detoxing regularly, leads to a stronger immune system, which can cope with controlling viruses, bacteria and infections. A strong immune system when working efficiently, helps you overcome minor infections ranging from the common cold right up to acute and chronic diseases.
- Stress reduction: Hydrotherapy can provide you with the vital key to breaking the stress cycle of everyday modern life. In today’s busy world, you can be prone to stress related illnesses, which can cause a wide range of physical and psychological problems. For example, high blood pressure, headaches, digestive complaints, insomnia, depression and anxiety attacks.
- Complexion: The hydrotherapy bath may help to regulate your body’s temperature control by improving the efficiency of your perspiration glands. This releases the toxins from your body and leaves you with a healthy glowing complexion. The oxygen flow is increased by the effect of the millions of bubbles and this activity can also help reduce fluid retention and even have an effect on other ailments such as cellulite.
Matrix Repatterning is a clinically proven form of manual therapy based on sound scientific principles, utilized around the world by many health-care professionals.
Developed by Dr George Roth BSc, DC, ND., Matrix Repatterning restores structural balance, eliminates pain and improves overall health by resolving the problem at the source – literally at the cellular and molecular levels.
How Does Matrix Repatterning Work?
The body is one continuous interconnected fibrous fabric. Injuries such as falls, motor vehicle collisions, sprains/strains and sports injuries are primarily absorbed by the dense core structures of the body, such as the internal organs, due to their fluid content and bone which is a dense crystalline structure. An injury in one part off the body can create a source of tension in other parts of the body even long after the original injury appears to have resolved.
The result is the creation of a focal area of tension, referred to as a primary restriction. The structures affected by primary restrictions appear to lose their connection to the cellular communication system, which can lead to many health problems, and pain.
Matrix Repatterning practitioners are able to precisely locate the hidden cause of the problems anywhere in the body and then gently release them to resolve the under lying cause of many conditions. This way Matrix Repatterning is able to unravel layers of accumulated injuries with the goal of reducing pain and improving quality of life.
Matrix Repatterning can be used to treat:
- Headaches and migraines
- Head Injury & Concussion
- Dizziness & Ear Noise (Tinnitus)
- Temporomandibular Joint Problems (TMJ)
- Sleep problems
- Snoring and apnea
- Neck & Upper Back Pain
- Low Back Pain
- Shoulder & Arm Pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Digestive complaints
- Gastro-Esophageal Reflux (GERD)
- Circulatory conditions
- Menstrual pain
- Urinary Incontinence
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Hip, Knee, Ankle, Foot Pain
- Chronic Pain
Additional information about Matrix Repatterning can be found at https://matrixrepatterning.com
European mistletoe (Viscum Album) is widely studied and used as a complimentary therapy for cancer in Europe. With more than 2,000 scientific publications, 130 clinical studies and more than 40 prospective-randomized clinical studies, it has a long history of safe and effective use in solid tumours like breast, prostate and colorectal cancer along with systemic cancers such as leukemia and multiple myeloma.
Many clinical trials and review articles have been conducted which validate the effectiveness of mistletoe in cancer treatment. Several clinical trials have shown that mistletoe therapy reduces the side effects of conventional treatment like chemotherapy, improves the quality of life of cancer patients, and potentially positively impacts the overall survival and recurrence rates in various cancers.
European Mistletoe has been widely studied both for its mechanism of action and its clinical effects on cancer patients.
Mistletoe therapy acts on many levels:
- It modulates the immune system by multiplying and activating immune cells.
- It can induce apoptosis (the process of natural cell death) in tumour cells which results in the inhibition of tumour growth.
Healthy tissue is not adversely affected by this. On the contrary: Immune cells and other healthy cells are protected against further injury, e.g. damage caused by cytostatic drugs.
Patients report that mistletoe therapy significantly improves their quality of life.
Some benefits of mistletoe therapy include:
- Improved general well-being
- Less fatigue, especially during and after chemotherapy
- Less nausea
- Improved appetite
- Less pain sensation, so fewer painkillers and sedatives are needed
- Less frequent depressive moods
This mode of action makes mistletoe therapy a key supplement to standard oncological therapy.
Mistletoe products for cancer therapy are manufactured exclusively as ampoules and are usually injected subcutaneously (under the skin) or can be taken intravenously.
When can you start Mistletoe?
In general, mistletoe therapy can be started at any time. The best time would be right after the tumour is diagnosed. Mistletoe therapy can support patients going through surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Find more answers to you frequently asked questions:
Can Mistletoe therapy be used for non-cancer treatments?
Physical manipulations and hands-on healing are treatments used for muscular skeletal and nervous system imbalances. They include a variety of hands-on techniques for the spine, joints and soft tissues.
Physical medicine treatments also include:
- Therapeutic Laser light (Theralase)
- Matrix Repatterning treatments
Theralase Cold Laser Therapy
The Theralase laser is a medical device that provides a safe and painless therapy that delivers energy to the body in the form of billions of photons of light. The body absorbs the light on a cellular level and transforms it into chemical energy which the body then uses to stimulate deep tissue regeneration and heal tissues. It is FDA approved for knee pain. Some of the benefits include faster wound healing by accelerating collagen synthesis. Anti- inflammatory action and reduction of scar tissue from cuts, burns and post-surgery, increased blood flow to damaged areas and increased nerve cell re-connection to help with recovery of damaged nerve tissues. It can be used as well for many skin conditions and when used with a point stimulator can be used as a needleless acupuncture treatment to facilitate weight loss or smoking cessation
The number of treatments required depends on the condition treated and varies between 5-25 sessions. Each treatment can last 10-30 minutes.